Accessorize your Photoshoot!

     I had this idea to explain the broad types of images you can get at a photo shoot, by simply bringing along a few key items of clothing. I wanted to show that when clothing changes are combined with location changes, and editing styles, the range of images that you can get is quite varied. This helps the client have a much broader (seemingly) collection of photos to choose from, at the end result.


     Another goal I had for this project was to compile a post that would describe some of the characteristics of clothing that I recommend for my clients, making this post like a guide I could show others when they ask.


     So, I grabbed my bestest friend and dependable model to show what I was wanting to convey.

     Kathleen had on jeans and a brown sweater, and brought a blue jacket, green shirt, four scarves (white, purple, brown, and a floral pattern), and a couple of hats. This is of course, an outline for an autumn or winter shoot- I'll probably do a similar project in the spring. Since what she had on worked with what she brought, we eliminated the need for a changing area (and you'd be surprised how much time that eats up at a shoot!)

Another thing I want to mention about clothing is color and texture. I love working with textures! The shirt Kathleen brought (green) was really bright, but had great texture. I generally caution people to stay away from bright colors, and to choose something that is a more neutral palate. Given the color, some of my favorite pictures with this item of clothing are black and white. Some ideas for texture:




Cabled Sweater
Linen
Cordoroy
Denim
Silk
Buttons
Scarves
Chiffon

So here's what working with what she happened to bring along looked like:









I love how this one (above) turned out. I was going for a Eastern European look...













...Ha ha, THIS is SO Kathleen! Hee hee! She's like the hat queen.



























































Additionally, I had Kathleen do the same thing for me- I needed some updated pictures for my website and stuff- It'd been  a whole year since I'd had pictures of me, and last year, it was me and Paul... So, it was really fun! I'd describe what I wanted, adjust settings, review images, make her shoot again, and she was such a trooper! She's beginning to do more photography her self, and has a digital SLR, so I think the practice was good. Mostly she's been doing landscapes and architectural  photography, having recently spent part of the summer backpacking across Europe. We ended up just using my camera the entire time, and then I took all the pictures back and did all the processing.

Our styles are (mostly!) completely different...
Here's what I was working with:
















Two scarves (one patterned, one green), two sweaters, a hat, and my leather jacket.
I wore jeans and a white long sleeved shirt.






































































....And because the berries were just SO beautiful:

















I was able to get quite a varied amount of photos/colors/styles by switching things up.
Kathleen did a STELLAR job, wouldn't you say?!
Yay. Now I have more profile photos for FB! lol...

So, recap: Texture and color is important. Locations are important. Having something simple like a jacket or scarf makes a difference in the variety of  photos you get. Kathleen also switched two or three pairs of earrings in, and used a brooch. Fun! :-)




0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Flickr Photostream

Instagram Feed

Meet The Author

Camilla EuDaly Barrett is a freelance photographer and designer with 6 years of expertise and 15 years of loving cameras and 'messing around' graphically on computers. By career she is a nationally certified Sign Language Interpreter.