Quantifiable Products





Goodevening!
Some good news in the LIFE department:
I'm going to henceforth, from now on, on-goingly have WEDNESDAYS off! This is good news, because that means I have more time for Friends, Fotography, and Future-clients!

I've reduced my Interpreting hours to allow more time to grow my business (and to keep my sanity!) by branching out a little. I cannot express to you all HOW freeing this is! I will also have various free hours on Tuesday mornings and Friday afternoons.

I still love interpreting, but a mix of both, ideally is perfect for me, I think. 

     Paul and I were just talking the other day how ABSTRACT language is. For my job, I interpret (mainly phone calls), appointments, classes, etc. When I get done with the day, I have nothing that is quantifiable that says I did a good job. I have nothing but vague memories of conversations, and what I chose to sign for "...for a billing cycle is computed by applying the monthly Periodic Rate to the average daily balance of Credit Purchases, which is determined by dividing the sum of the daily balances during the..." blahblahblah. Interpret that into a visual language, PLEASE!
   It's amazing, because all I take to work is myself. No computer, no tools, no scissors, no file-folder of top secret documents... Nothing except my brain. That's why a head-cold is detrimental to the "resulting product". Haha.
     Lets just say I am so thankful for Photography to mix things up. I have a creative expression that allows me to interact with people 1:1, be myself, express who they are, and at the end, a very TANGIBLE product, that is quantifiable. And I get to use toys!

...Just a tidbit into the musings. :-)

And since Paul has 100% given up his day to research and back me up on this decision, I'll leave you with a picture of my charming man!


1 comments:

  1. I find your explination of your job very clear and amusing since I am as well working in a language type job. Yes, we do get the chance to be a shining light in the life of little kiddos, but at the end of the day I feel like I really have no tangible product either. Just a headache sometimes. All we take to work is our brains and some healthy snacks too. I love how we have the freedom to change our occupation at will. Communism would stink.

    You have a talent with the camera. I am glad that your charming man backs you. That is worth alot. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete

 

Flickr Photostream

Instagram Feed

Meet The Author

Camilla EuDaly Barrett is a freelance photographer and designer with 6 years of expertise and 15 years of loving cameras and 'messing around' graphically on computers. By career she is a nationally certified Sign Language Interpreter.